9.30.2010

Pattern: Future of Forestry Hat




Another pattern for the knitters among us.
This hat is named after one of my favorite bands, and inspired by Ann Weaver's Shackleton Hat. I loved the shape of the hat, but the finished product really didn't suit me, unfortunately. So, I gave that hat away and set out to design something that was more to my liking.
Future of Forestry works up fast, and is extra thick and warm due to the double layer of 1x1 ribbing that serves as the brim. The crown has subtle seed-stitch rib detailing, and the whole thing is finished off with a purled 3-needle bind-off. I knit this in single-ply mystery wool that I bought here, but any good worsted or aran weight wool or alpaca should do fine.


Needle size: US 10, 4 DPNs
Yarn: Worsted or aran weight wool, about 150-200 yds
Optional: Extra wool for pom-poms or tassels
Gauge: 8 stitches in lightly stretched 1x1 rib, approx. 2 inches

-Cast on 70 stitches loosely, divide onto 3 DPNs. Join in the round.
-Row 1: *Knit 1, Purl 1,* repeat around. Work Row 1 until work measures 8
inches.
-Row 2: Knit all stitches.
-Row 3: *Knit 6, Purl 1,* repeat around.
-Work rows 2 & 3 until work measures 12 inches, ending with row 3.
-Next row: Purl all stitches.

Work a 3-needle bind-off as you normally would but do so purlwise and with wrong sides facing, being sure to purl through the back loop of the stitch on the rear needle. It will still look 'knit' on the top where you pass the stitches over one another, but it does give the top edge a bit more texture.

I think it would look really cute with little pom-poms or fat tassels on the top corners, but they're not quite moi so I left them off. You, however, should feel free to liberally apply some pom-poms. I've heard that its lucky to wear them, that you'll see more shooting stars on snowy nights if you do...


6 comments:

  1. love the hat. i've just recently been getting into ears. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my kids can't be the only ones with fun hats, so I made this in gray and can now be a wolf (my favorite) while they're foxes. Thanks for the great pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm taking a break from knitting winter gear for the kids and making this one for myself! I'm a little over half done and I'm getting really excited! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elle!

    I just wanted to let you know that I love your Future of Forestry Hat. I am an editor at AllFreeKnitting.com and would love to feature your tutorial on my site with full credit to you. Please email me if you are interested and would like more information. I can be reached at kburke [at] primecp.com.

    Thanks! I look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Superbly written article, if only all bloggers offered the same content as you, the internet would be a far better place.. Forestry Mulching

    ReplyDelete