11.23.2010

Pattern: Jaymie


Everybody needs a big cowl to snuggle up in around this time of year, right? This one's mine. I saw a stylish-looking girl in downtown Beijing wearing a similar one, and couldn't resist coming up with a cowl of my own inspired by it. Jaymie is knit in a super-stretchy puffed rib stitch, which looks totally different depending on which side you decide is right-side-out, and whether or not you stretch it out flat while blocking. It's got lots of great texture, and holds in warmth like a dream! I love the way the stitch pattern looks when the ribs run horizontally, but if you'd rather knit the cowl vertically in the round that's pretty too!


Needle size: US 7, two straights
Yarn: Any nice worsted weight, like Quince & Co Lark!
Optional: Contrasting colors for stripes
Gauge is not important for this pattern. 


I'm really excited to see how it works up in different colors!
Feel free to send me any questions here or on ravelry!

14 comments:

  1. Your cowl is lovely and so are you! Adorable pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute! I was looking for new winter patterns for winter and I just love this. Thanks for sharing the pattern! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is seriously adorbs...great pattern and love how you're rockin it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Question about the pattern. So I am not new to knitting, I can knit, purl and yarn over with the best of them but I can't seem to get the hang of this one. I really liked the design and wanted to use it for a scarflett/cowl I am making, however what is up with the yarn overs? On row 2 are you knitting/purling them as they come along? My work does not seem to resemble the image at all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. On row 2, the purl 3 are the yarn over, the knit 1, and the yarnover from row 1! Make sure you're always knitting or purling the first two stitches before you begin the * * repeats across the row. :}

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice cowl...how much yarn does it take?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this cowl! I am on a cowl kick so this will work perfectly! I love your boots too :) I need to get a pair, they are just too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ever since I wore my firs cowl, I just couldn't go back to the good old scarf...Cowls are cool!
    Nice pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it... just made it in white and voilet... now making a matching hat...lets see how that turns out.... Thanks for sharing the pattern...xoxo :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you so much for sharing,my neice would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For some reason I can't make it look like this. One side looks twisty, and the other side looks somewhat like your pattern but it doesn't look like little puffy squares...just like straight stockinette. I am following the pattern exactly. What do you think is wrong??

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very nice cowl and the colors look great together! this cowl looks very cozy. I am starting to knit my own cowl using blue wool, I am excited to finish it up for the spring! take care,
    Lisa
    www,needlesandwool.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete